Brooks Koepka: four-time major golf champion to join LIV Golf series, reports say

Brooks Koepka: four-time major golf champion to join LIV Golf series, reports say

LIV Golf is expected to announce the news of the former world No. 1, currently ranked 19th, to his series “in the coming days”, ESPN reports.

The LIV Golf Series, which kicked off in London this month, is a new tour organized by LIV Golf Investments which consists of eight events around the world. But the event is controversial and, following his joining LIV Golf, Koepka is expected to be banned from the PGA Tour.

Earlier this month, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan announced that all golfers playing in the breakaway series would no longer be eligible to play in PGA Tour tournaments.

CNN has reached out to representatives for LIV Golf and Koepka for comment.

Koepka is set to take part in the upcoming LIV Golf Tournament, which is set to take place June 30-July 2 at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club near Portland, Oregon, according to reports.

The star told Golf Digest in 2020: “Money doesn’t matter. It’s not something important. I just want to be happy. Money isn’t going to make me happy. I just want to play against the best.

“If someone gives me $200 million tomorrow, it’s not going to change my life. What am I going to get out of it? I already have [enough money] that I could retire now, but I don’t want to. I just want to play golf,” he added.

Last week at the US Open, the 32-year-old said he was tired of talking about LIV Golf and said the media was casting a ‘dark cloud’ over the 122nd US Open, a non-PGA Tour event. . Koepka’s brother Chase attended the first LIV Golf event in London earlier this month.

Brooks Koepka is reportedly set to join the LIV Golf Invitational series.

Led by former world number one Greg Norman, the team series runs from June to October. It is backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) – a sovereign wealth fund chaired by Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s crown prince and the man a US intelligence report named as responsible for approving the operation that led to the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Bin Salman has denied any involvement in Khashoggi’s murder.

The tempting cash on offer attracted a mix of golfers to sign up for the opening event in London, of all ages, backgrounds and successes on the golf course.

Six-time major winner Phil Mickelson and former world number one Dustin Johnson are among those to headline the event, while other major winners Sergio Garcia, Martin Kaymer, Graeme McDowell, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel also participated.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*